Duties of Licensed Vocational Nurses or LVNs
- Administer medications via most routes, including pre-pouring medications
- With IV certification, may administer IV fluids to include electrolytes, nutrients, vitamins, blood and blood products. May also calculate and adjust IV flow rates (nutrition, hydration, and blood products only.)
- Catheterize a patient
- Administer tube feedings
- Perform stoma and ostomy care
- Perform glucometer/blood sugar tests
- May apply heat and cold
- Suction and care for a tracheostomy tube
- Perform Wound Care and change sterile dressings
- Perform bowel/bladder irrigation
- Perform other diagnostic and therapeutic nursing procedures
- Assist the RN in initiating and maintaining written care plans for individual patients
- Assist with educating and instructing patients, patients’ families and staff limited to teaching information which is outlined in and is consistent with the vocational nursing practice act.
- Performs some personal care and household duties, as necessary
At La Jolla Nurses Homecare in La Jolla, California, we are proud to offer a wide range of services to meet the medical needs of our clients. Our commitment to quality care has earned us multiple awards for excellence from the La Jolla Light Reader’s Poll and the San Diego Union Tribune. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you or your loved one with our in-home nursing services.