A CHECKLIST FOR PREVENTING FALLS IN YOUR HOME
- Make sure all handrails are not broken and are securely fastened.
- Both sides of the steps should have handrails.
Floors and rugs
- Make sure all floor boards are even and rugs, including area rugs, are secured to the floor with tacks, non-skid pads or double-sided tape.
- Use non-skid floor wax.
- Be sure that you can move safely in bathroom area, and in and out of the tub or shower.
- Remove soap build-up in tub or shower on a regular basis.
- Place non-slip strips in bath/shower.
- Install adjustable height shower heads.
- Mount grab bars at the toilet, bath and shower on walls with secure reinforcements, to prevent the bars from coming loose.
- Secure bath mats with non-slip, double-sided rug tape.
- Items that you use frequently, such as dishes and food items, should be easy to reach.
- If you have to use a step stool, make sure that it has a bar at the top to hold on to.
- 3 Place nightlights in hallways, bedrooms, bathrooms and stairways.
- 3 Install light switches at the top and bottom of stairs.
- 3 Place a lamp (and telephone) near your bed.
- 3 Keep lighting uniform in each room and add lighting to dark spaces.